(913) 381-9118 Voice/FAX
LPI Information Systems
DATASMITH Software Sales &
10020 Fontana; Overland Park, KS
Return to Payroll Central
Return to Payroll News Page 1
HOW TO SET THE SIZE OF THE ENVIRONMENT IN WINDOWS 95
WHY YOU WOULD NEED TO SET THE SIZE OF THE ENVIRONMENT:
You may need to set the "DOS Environment" space in Windows 95 to allow proper operation of your
Payroll system. When you initially install Datasmith Payroll on your Windows 95 system, Windows 95
automatically sets several default parameters. Under normal circumstances, the default parameter for
environment space will be adequate to allow the payroll system to run properly.
on your basic Windows 95 configuration (number of drivers installed, length of your data path, etc.), you may need to adjust the default settings to allow proper operation.
There are several methods in Windows 95 to adjust the environment space available for use by Payroll. The following method is
probably the easiest to implement and should work for you.
SETTING THE ENVIRONMENT IN WINDOWS 95:
THE SIZE OF THE ENVIRONMENT HAS NOW BEEN ADJUSTED in your system.
- Right click on the START button (Windows taskbar) and then left click on EXPLORE to bring up the
- In the left portion of the "Exploring..." window navigate to the folder (subdirectory) that contains your payroll program
files (normally C:\Payroll), and left click on that folder to select it. Note that the folder name becomes highlighted
meaning that it is selected. Also note that the information listed in the right portion of the window changes to
list all of the Payroll program files. In the right portion of the window, navigate to find the file "Payroll.bat". Left click
on "Payroll.bat" to select it. (Note: Do NOT "double-click" on the file name at this point. If you do, you will actually
start the Payroll program.)
- Now right click on the file name "Payroll.bat". In the resulting small menu, left click (select) "Properties". (Note
if you do not see a menu with "Properties" as a selection option, press the "Esc" key and right click on the
"Payroll.bat" file again without moving the mouse.) A new window titled "Payroll.bat Properties" will appear.
- At the top of the Properties window select the "Memory" tab by left clicking on the word "Memory".
The contents of the window will change to reflect the current memory settings for the Payroll program.
- In the upper right portion of the Memory window, you will find a selection titled "Initial environment".
The box immediately to the right of this selection probably has the word "Auto" in it, however, it may
contain a number instead. Tthe right portion of this box contains a down pointing arrow. Click on this
arrow to select a new value for the initial environment from the resulting selection box. Normally, "1024"
will be more than adequate for Datasmith Payroll. If you need a larger value, select it by left clicking (once)
on the value you want to use. The selection box will disappear and the new value will appear in the box.
- Next left click on "Apply" and then "OK" at the bottom of the properties window. Close the "Exploring..."
window by left clicking on the "X" in the upper right-hand corner of the window.
- Start Datasmith Payroll in the normal manner to see the effect of your changes. You should NOT get
"Out of Environment Space" messages during program startup. If necessary, repeat the procedure using a
larger value for environment space: we recommend increasing the value by 256 until a satisfactory size
is found for your system.